Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I believe ProCharger is a brand name, and yes their supercharger is like a belt drive turbo. Superchargers come in many styles, many limiting the location of unit. As far as which is better, Turbos offer many mounting options, including remote, usually have a "lag" before power kicks in (but oh what a kick!) and do not use any hp to operate or hurt mileage until they are used (I find I use it way too much and my mileage suffers). Superchargers are more difficult to locate in tight quarters (custom installs), if there is a kit, then either install can be simple depending on the quality of the kit, the SC delivers instant boost (no lag), however it always uses hp to turn, affecting mpg, probably delivering less hp to the rear wheels per pound of boost. My experience is based on racing an '87 Buick Grand National (3.8 litre V-6 Turbo) and years of reading car magazines, I'm not a professional mechanic like some here, these are just my opinions.

For a driver, on a budget, if a kit is available, I'd go with the turbo, usually cheaper and a rush to drive. If you're going to the track, SC is the way to go, easy to stage (turbos take a skill set to get up on boost and keep it there until the lights drop (I don't have it)) and instant boost (cuts time off your ET) on the street, unless you're racing (no one here would do that) you can still feel the rush of power, you might have to wait around a second or less, but that can be minimized with turning and correct sizing (ask Barney).Anyway I'm rambling.

A pro charger, in essence, would actually be worse than a regular exhaust driven turbocharger. I wouldn't pro charge...I would either go with Paul's turbo setup or do what my plan is and use a very, very small twin screw supercharger meant for i4 marine engines and work with that.
    -President of the Smart car Connecticut chapter.

-Any man who drives a smart car is very, very secure with themselves and does not feel that they need to compensate.

-It's nice to have over a thousand people come up to your car in amazement and take pictures and ask questions and have these incredible looks when they see the NOS bottle or the purge setup. It makes everything I've done worth it.

I'd go with Barny's set up but since that aint happening I'm going to try and roll my own with the Rotex. I might have to lose my AC pump, but I think I can shoehorn the Supercharger in there. Spendy at over 2k for the blower, but I do like not having to touch the other side of the engine. I'm slowly pulling together the funds, so we'll just have to see if I get out of the armchair phase.
    Last edited by gurps; 12-09-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Tom, looking forward to your project and Brett when are you starting on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Tomato View Post
    ...unless you're racing (no one here would do that) .
    RRRRIIIIGGGGHHHHT...

jetfuel...going on first yellow....
    ...just a 22 seconds car..with a 18 seconds turbo that runs 17...

When I get a good paying job...eventually
    -President of the Smart car Connecticut chapter.

-Any man who drives a smart car is very, very secure with themselves and does not feel that they need to compensate.

-It's nice to have over a thousand people come up to your car in amazement and take pictures and ask questions and have these incredible looks when they see the NOS bottle or the purge setup. It makes everything I've done worth it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123