Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

[OP] Member

Hey. Long time since I logged in anywhere. My car is running great after the header install. I get an occasional code, and I know I could tweak the tune and possibly squeeze some more performance out of it, but after farting with it so much, I'm just happy to drive it.

Barney, I wouldn't say I voted against your turbo package... I hope you don't see it that way. I wanted one that kept the catalytic converter, that's all. Now, however, I know that probably wasn't possible. I do believe that keeping the stock cat simply is not possible and was a bad idea for me to try.

I still think you got the best set up. And, I'll freely admit I underestimated the effort (and importance) of the tuning process.

Bottom line, though, I'm happy with what is in my garage now.

On a unrelated note, my kid turns 15 soon. We're going to start an electric conversion for him. He wants a Tesla (heck, so do I!) so we're going to go the poor mans route and build one ourselves. I'm thinking of starting with a early 90's Toyota MR2. I'm car shopping now and we'll get started right after Christmas.

Best,

geosynch

Quote Originally Posted by geosynch View Post
    Hey. Long time since I logged in anywhere. My car is running great after the header install. I get an occasional code, and I know I could tweak the tune and possibly squeeze some more performance out of it, but after farting with it so much, I'm just happy to drive it.

Barney, I wouldn't say I voted against your turbo package... I hope you don't see it that way. I wanted one that kept the catalytic converter, that's all. Now, however, I know that probably wasn't possible. I do believe that keeping the stock cat simply is not possible and was a bad idea for me to try.

I still think you got the best set up. And, I'll freely admit I underestimated the effort (and importance) of the tuning process.

Bottom line, though, I'm happy with what is in my garage now.

On a unrelated note, my kid turns 15 soon. We're going to start an electric conversion for him. He wants a Tesla (heck, so do I!) so we're going to go the poor mans route and build one ourselves. I'm thinking of starting with a early 90's Toyota MR2. I'm car shopping now and we'll get started right after Christmas.

Best,

geosynch
    Good to hear from you and wish you and your son all the best on the new adventure...

Barney..

[OP] Member

I've noticed that with the cooler weather, my car runs so. much. better. I thought it was running well before the cool weather set in.

Makes me wonder what it would achieve if I took it to a "real tuner"

geosynch

I can happily say that my project plan starts with putting in a wideband O2 sensor first, the bung should be welded in place in a few more days. You thread is such a good read.

[OP] Member

I'm putting my smart up for sale. I'll make a post about it under the for sale section, but wanted to at least mention it here.

I've had a blast with the smart, but, times change. I just bought the fifth car for a family of three drivers. One had to go.

My son and I have started to convert a '99 Miata to electric. My son is 15 and the goal is to have the car ready when he gets his license, just under 12 months from now. That car is still powered by the engine Mazda gave it, and, I've been driving it a lot lately; but the engine comes out tomorrow. That was car number four. Blast to drive, BTW.

Here's the little critter....

Car 5 is a BMW ActiveE, full on EV from Germany. I take delivery in about a month. As we're out of room in the garage, I hope to have the smart sold before it arrives.

Sorry I haven't dropped by in the last few months. Life got busy for me.

Best,

geosynch

Looks good...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910