Super Moderator

Thanks Received: 2

smart car Lift Kit by Daystar

After a long wait the production has now caught up with demand and the kits are now available.

We have had a lot of interest in these kits. Now that a number of them have been installed on smarts all over the country we can give you some feedback. If you are planning to lift your smart make sure you upgrade your wheels and tires to something that is wider.

If you want to do this upgrade we do not recommend you keep your stock wheels and tires.

The smart car in pictures features DeCorsa Wheels.
    Check out www.SMARTMADNESS.com for the largest selection of smart car Parts and Accessories in stock at the lowest prices.

Buying or selling a smart car? Check out www.smartcarclassifieds.com

Super Moderator

Reposted with permission from the original poster (Wile):

Just Installed 2" Daystar Lift

It took 2 days and a few extra trips to Harbor Freight for tools, but I installed the 2 " Daystar Lift on my Smart!

The instructions that SMART MADNESS (who I purchased the kit thru ) sent me when the purchased the kit helped a lot. Although the list of tools needed was not complete as I found out...the hard way..

Anyway, It turned out great and combined with the Decorsa Rims (SMART MADNESS) and 175/65/15 in front and 185/65/15 rear ( Tire Rack) it looks great, but more importantly handles great!

Since my wife has a Smart as well, I'll be posting pictures to show off the difference from stock (hers) and lifted (mine).

Thumbs up to Rachel (hope that's how she spells her name) at SMART MADNESS for the extra effort she put in to make this happen!
    Check out www.SMARTMADNESS.com for the largest selection of smart car Parts and Accessories in stock at the lowest prices.

Super Moderator

Hoping this works, whenever the wife gets home we'll be posting more.

Super Moderator

Tires are 175/65/15 up front and 185/65/15 in rear. Big difference in the feeling of going over bumps/railroad tracks etc..
    They are Michelin X-Ice winter tires.

Super Moderator

I've only put on 220 miles since I put on the lift, but when I filled the tank it came out to 43mpg.
    I checked this website and the speedo is 8.4% slow. Shows 60 but really im going 65.

Tire size calculator:
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

My wife and I have today free so we'll finally be able to take pictures of both smarts and close ups of the kit installed.

Super Moderator

The instructions listed tools needed as :
    2 Jack Stands, Wheel Chock, and a Floor Jack
    Hammer, T-25 T-30 Torx
    Ratchet, 12" extension and wobble
    Deep Well Socket 22mm
    Sockets 10mm, 13mm, 17mm,18mm,19mm
    Wrenches 13mm,14mm,17mm,18mm,19mm.

What they left out to say I needed was :

Razor Blade for getting Side mirror cover poplock out (while using a T-30 Torx)

15mm for lug nuts
    1/2" socket for steering shaft nut
    T-45 Torx for upper strut shaft
    13/16" OFFSET closed wrench for nut on the upper strut mount
    Lower Shock Bolt E-14 socket
    3/8" Drill bit for mounting the new rear shock extensions to the A-Tubes

T-25 Torx for getting the black cowl off the front, which opens up 2 trapazoid holes to get at the upper strut mounts easier.

Once you get the new extension and spacer on the strut, you no longer have access to the T-45 hole to turn the shaft while tightening the nut....so I had to use Visegrips with a rag to protect the upper end of the shaft to keep it from spinning. However it only worked briefly and I didnt want to risk marring the shaft so I brought it in to a garage who had access to an impact wrench, which they were able to screw the nut down no problem.

Also I recommend using an offset 17mm closed wrench with some cardboard inside taped under one side to hold the bolt head in place while you put it inside the A-Tube. My hands are not quite that small to get in there that far (wife's are, which she put in the 1st bolt, but was unavailable to do the other one since she had an appointment to get to so I improvised)

Caliper bolts are 19mm, Crossmember bolts are 14mm.

I forgot to write down the extra nut and bolt size used for the steering shaft extension, so I'll go out and take the tire off later and look.

Since I did this project in 2 days in spurts, I'd say now it would take around 4 hours or less.
    P.S. thanx to my brother who ran me to Harbor Freight....twice....

Super Moderator

Stability hasn't been an issue, I still snake thru the round-abouts with ease. The ride is soooooooo much softer, since my wife has a Smart as well it's easy comparison. The route thru town we regularly travel is littered with giant seams in the pavement and with constant sub zero temps we have been having it makes them buckle to create big sharp dips. Darn near need a sports mouthpiece some days riding that route in hers. Riding in mine however is much less severe.
    I still haven't found anything to deal with the speedo difference, with the tire calculator I know the speed I'm going. With it being colder out, the bigger winter tires, and warming up the car before I head out, I've been getting 39-41/gallon mostly city driving.
    The other day a cat darted out in front of me and I couldn't avoid it I heard a slight *dung* as it entered underneath and saw it bolt away to the other side bounding into the farmer's field. If I didn't have the lift and bigger tires I'm sure It would have been another story with me going door to door asking if they had a cat. My wife and I have 4 cats ourselves so I was relieved to see him running on his own.

Super Moderator

Here are some more pics of lifted smart cars...

Thanks Received: 14
    This is something I have been thinking about
    WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

Thanks Received: 0
    just finished our lift, took about 7 hours, but if you follow the instructions it's real easy.