[OP] Senior Member

Polishing Over Vinyl?

Hey everybody!

I have a question. I plan on giving my smart its very first polishing ever by hand (not machine) and I have a question. I plan on purchasing and using the SmartWax Superior Finish Polish for my car, but my car as after market vinyl graphics as you may of may not have seen.

Here is my question:

Would it be safe to polish over vinyl? Don't you think that the polish will hurt the vinyl?

Also:

Can I clay bar over vinyl? Some people have told me no because it will take the vinyl right off the car! I need some advice regarding this please! Thank you!
    -President of the Smart car Connecticut chapter.

-Any man who drives a smart car is very, very secure with themselves and does not feel that they need to compensate.

-It's nice to have over a thousand people come up to your car in amazement and take pictures and ask questions and have these incredible looks when they see the NOS bottle or the purge setup. It makes everything I've done worth it.

Super Moderator

Brett,

Our cars have Vinyls on them (SM logos) and we have washed and polished them without any issues using the SW line. These are the two products we have been using:

http://www.smartmadness.com/servlet/...t--Pure/Detail

http://www.smartmadness.com/servlet/...--Spray/Detail
    Check out www.smartmadness.com for the largest selection of smart car Parts and Accessories in stock at the lowest prices.

Buying or selling a smart car? Check out www.smartcarclassifieds.com

[OP] Senior Member

Hey Boris,

I'm talking about the superior finish polish. I believe this is more like a paste and is designed before the wax. I want to use this to remove the micro swirls and scratches from my car, but I don't know if it is too aggressive or not that it will hurt the vinyl.

-Any man who drives a smart car is very, very secure with themselves and does not feel that they need to compensate.

-It's nice to have over a thousand people come up to your car in amazement and take pictures and ask questions and have these incredible looks when they see the NOS bottle or the purge setup. It makes everything I've done worth it.

Super Moderator

Can't help you there Brett. I do not know. There are many variations in the quality and durability of the vinyl. Now that we are doing Vinyls at our shop Henry (our shop manager) has been teaching me the many variations. Some are more durable then others.
    Check out www.smartmadness.com for the largest selection of smart car Parts and Accessories in stock at the lowest prices.

Hello Brett, Henry here...
    let me just put it simple, see the material of our panels? plastic... vinyl.. same base, now just like Boris mentioned there are different grade of vinyls, if you got something like a 700 or better, it will react like the panels, so if you wax or buff it. it will get shine like the car.

hope it help
    ================================================== ====================
    Aerodynamics are for people who canít build engines...
    Whatís behind you doesnít matter......
    If youíre in control, youíre not going fast enough.....
    We worked 80 hour weeks for 3 years to keep from having to get a real job......
    Racing is life, everything else is just waiting for the next one...

[OP] Senior Member

Thank you both! I need to contact my graphics guy and see if his grade of vinyl is safe for polishing.

Hi Brett,

I'm late to the game here in this thread, but I create vinyl graphics all the time and I make the domed decals sold through Smart Madness. You can wash good quality calendered or cast vinyl all day long and dry it with a good absorbent cloth or moist chamois, but I wouldn't polish it. Those polishing compounds are a mild abrasive and are made evening out the surface of painted/cleared surfaces to restore shine. So, it can't really help your vinyl and might damage it. I also suspect it'd be a waste of effort and a waste of polish to use it on vinyl.

Good luck. Your car sounds good too, and I like the stripes.

[OP] Senior Member

Hey Nukleon,

Thank you for the heads up! Also, thank you for the compliments on the stripes and thank you for helping the smart community!

Sincerely,
    Brett

Super Moderator

Here is another thought... Cover the stripes with Blue Painters Tape. You can find it at a Home Depot or a similar place. The Blue tape has a weaker glue that will not damage vinyl and comes off easily. Then simply buff the car since the stripes are protected.